Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My ministry started, and I didn't even know it (LOL)!!

I was told last night that I started doing what I was going to be doing for the whole time I am here on my first full day, which was last Friday. I guess playing games with the kids and teens didn't dawn on me that I was actually working for my interenship, or atleast it didn't feel that way! I guess the main reason was because I don't have to really prepare to play with them. I just need to show up and hang out with the kids and teens come. However, when you do something that you know you are called to do, and you love doing it, you don't consider it as work. :)

Today was my first trip to the orphanage. Bill, Sarah, Chris, Tonya (Oksana's sister), and I went this morning from 10am- 11:30. The little kids are just adorable. The older kids were in school. Whether the little kids have ever seen you before or not, they just run to you and give you a hug, or want you to pick them up as soon as you come into their sight. I especially had fun playing in the sand box, chasing them around the yard, and playing other group games with them such as duck duck GOOSE! What was even cuter yet was the crafts they made. They made a flower out of tissue paper and a pipe cleaner. Then Sarah made them all glasses out of pipe cleaners. The boys especially, would run around the yard acting like they were the coolest kid that ever lived. :)

After the orphanage, we stopped at the vegetable, fruit, and meat markets. The meat market is pretty interesting. They butcher the cow, goat, pig, or chicken (that is already de feathered) right there in front of you! It was cool though. The vegetables and fruit are all freshley picked out of people's gardens who sell these things for a living.

Then after that at 3pm the I opened the youth center. For 3 hours Stopa and I made things out of the long skiny balloons (animal balloons) for the the kids that came in! At one point in time, I believe we had at least 30 kids in line for a balloon, not including those who already had one, and were playing other games. It was funny. Stepan pumped up the balloons, I tied and made the shapes the kids wanted. :) It was a lot of fun. Bill said later that usually there is not that many kids in the youth center at one time. We agreed that the kids must have went and told their friends (lol). As soon as we were out of ballons, the center hardly had any small kids in it 5 minutes later, and things settled down. What is most interesting though is that even a few of the teen guys wanted some too!

Once things quited down, some of us palyed games with each other such as Skip-Bo, Dutch Blitz, and Uno. I played Jinga with Sasha. I beat him! But don't worry, he also won one game. :) Then I played ping-pong with Alex. He made me laugh so hard I couldn't even hit the ball!

And now, it is time for me to relax. Tomorrow is my "day off". However, tomorrow is also a very special day for two people I know. It is both Oksana's and my dad's birthday! So happy birthday dad!

Well, talk to y'all later!

God bless,
Brittany

1 comment:

  1. it must be nice to play at your work (lol)
    t love grandpa

    ReplyDelete